Tiscali purchase of Pipex Communications cleared by OFT
Friday 17 August 2007 13:45:02 by Andrew Ferguson

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) has completed its investigation of the sale of the broadband and voice parts of Pipex Communications to Tiscali UK and has cleared the £210million sale.

The sale was first announced back in July 2007, with the OFT announcing it was looking into the deal later last month. The news the sale can go ahead and will not be referred to the Competition Commission will be welcomed by Tiscali UK and Pipex Communications.

There has been little real news on what the effects of the sale will be to the many thousands of Pipex broadband users, and the various brands the group has acquired over the years. Tiscali is pushing forward with its Tiscali TV service which it acquired in its previous purchase of HomeChoice who have been providing a video over broadband service since 2000. Time will tell how well Tiscali UK can integrate the various broadband brands and compete against the other large providers.

Posted by nadger over 9 years ago
I've put a link to Pipex Comms statement, posted on London Stock Exchange site, in the Pipex forum.

They indicate completion of sale in early September.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
Nice of you to provide that info nadger :) However I imagine no body cares what Pipex have to say about it, like every statement they make and like their terms its probably not worth the air consumed or the paper used. For people that are/were a user of Pipex and now being transfered to TIscali it5s nothing more than jumping from a frying pan into a fire.
Posted by philukxp over 9 years ago
"TIscali it5s nothing more than jumping from a frying pan into a fire"

I think you are dead right there Carpetburn, I myself will be off after my contract expires. I've been with pipex for 4-5 years and they were great in the early days. It's like most companies they get greedy and consumers mean nothing to them as they get bigger. It's also about time somebody looked into the service providers anyway, as they are not providing the service they should
Posted by edsora over 9 years ago
I have a horrible feeling of deja vu. Years ago I was with the first telephone company independent of BT. They in turn were bought out after a couple of steps by Tiscali. I lasted 3 months before I realised they were a company run by the gormless for the gormless. But where do I move from f2s? Are there any quality ISPs left that are likely to remain independent?

I guess we've heard nothing from f2s because the guys who would have to write the newsletter haven't a clue what is going on either.
Posted by SteveToplek over 9 years ago

Luv 'em Wouldn't give me 8MB cos tho' my exchange supports it their equipment at the exchange is old and they won't upgrade it ....... but if I was a new victim ...sorry, customer, they would give me an 8MB service !!!!!

Frying think Pipex is bad? never been with Pipex, but Tiscali set new standards in "how low can you go" LOL
Posted by martinfin over 9 years ago
Pipex will not upgrade me to 8Mb because although my exchange supports it their equipment at the exchange limits me to 1MB and they won't move me onto 8MB BT equipment. However if I terminate and reapply they would give me an 8MB service! Surely Tiscali will be better?
Posted by SteveToplek over 9 years ago
To Martinfin
You may qualify for major prize for being the first person ever to put the words Tiscali & better in the same sentence.... unless anyone else knows better LOL -
Posted by yellowserve over 9 years ago
Damn it. As an agent of Nildram (part of Pipex) I have over 300 customers with them. Looks like i'll have to find another ISP pretty sharpish. Based on my customer's experience even BT would be an order of magnitude better than Tiscali. Each time Nildram have been taken over by a bigger fish there's actually been no degradation of service / support etc. This time I have no confidence this will be the case.... in fact i'll eat my hat if they are still great in 12 months time !
Posted by newscat over 9 years ago
Is anyone else finding that their speeds have gone down the pan in the evenings since Tiscali took over?

This has not happened across the board - just on the port used for a conferencing system I need to use for uni work.

Pipex deny any port limiting - yeah right!!!
Posted by lawrinsonk over 9 years ago
I've been running a speed check on my Pipex BB over the past two days. The speed is 5mbps or above during the day, but from 4pm onwards it drops rapidly. At 8pm last night it was a mere 51kbps. It's been dreadfully slow in the evenings for a couple of months now.
Posted by jumbokray over 9 years ago
£23.44 per month for what is in effect a dial-up performance and no chance of painlessly switching to a lower priced service without losing my email address. Daytime service is throttled, strangled or if using their words it is being managed because there is insufficient bandwidth available.
Migration to Tiscali was not advised and was done with maximum inconvenience to Pipex customers. They called it servicing by BT which was untrue. Pathetic now.