PlusNet offer to Pipex customers following Tiscali takeover
Saturday 14 July 2007 12:56:52 by Sebastien Lahtinen

Following the expected sale of the Pipex broadband business to Tiscali announced this week, Plusnet has been quick to issue an offer for Pipex customers unsure about the future, and wishing to migrate away. The offer includes customers on Pipex services as well as those on acquired brands Toucan, Freedom2Surf, Bulldog and Nildram. No fixed time limit has been applied yet but Plusnet do point out this will be open for a limited time only.

Users of the above service providers who migrate to PlusNet will receive their first month of service free, including broadband and home phone services if you move both to PlusNet. After that, they will benefit from PlusNet's 90 day money-back guarantee (see terms) for migration orders.

"Tiscali acquiring Pipex will create massive customer churn in the consumer broadband market. Pipex is ranked fifth for customer service by Uswitch and Tiscali ranked seventh. We expect Pipex customers will react to this move by voting with their feet. Broadband users want speed, reliability and first class customer service, not mass market offerings."

Neil Armstrong (Products Director), PlusNet

More information can be found at:

Posted by scousetechie over 9 years ago
That's a bit rich coming from a company that was trumpeting the benefits of Tiscali LLU about 6 months ago, until it all went horribly wrong!
Posted by Silvereyes over 9 years ago
That's very rich coming from a company which not only drove a large portion of it's own customers away with the very same behaviour, some of them it's oldest and most loyal, but even more recently told it's staff to stop answering questions etc. in the ADSLGuide forums. That's not to mention the outstanding SCC judgements which it is only now beginning to settle nearly two years later.
Posted by mixt over 9 years ago
Such a dog eat dog world isn't it? All I can do is chuckle. The fact that PlusNet have even come forward with this offer (so quickly) is a clear indication of the type of company they truely are and how low they will go to rake in new customers.

The number of acquisitions that have taken place in this industry over, say, the past 5 years, is quite astonishing and all it does for me is prove the point that most companies really don't care about the customer, just simply taking that customer's money, making it big, and then selling out. Very sad indeed.
Posted by wimwauters over 9 years ago
Migrate from Pipex to Plusnet? They live in hope :-) I used to be a customer with Plusnet and felt the sudden the change in focus from maximising customer service to maximising shareholder value. I hope at least their shareholders are happy :-)

I also hope Pipex customers find their way to this site's ISP list and pick an ISP with 4 stars or more, I'm with two of them and I'm always Keconnect-ed to my Zen-like state :-)
Posted by nadger over 9 years ago
Must admit that I have taken PlusNet offer after 64 months with Pipex.

As this would have been 2nd time that Pipex Int has been sold I felt it time to change. I've never had any service problems with Pipex but I won't be sold to Tiscali.

I could go to any of 5 LLU providers on my exchange if I wanted pure speed but I'm not heavy user (8Gb will do me) so am taking Option 2.

Nothing to lose really with 3 month "get out of jail free card" and free month.
Posted by drteeth over 9 years ago
<<Broadband users want speed, reliability and first class customer service, not mass market offerings>>

So they won't be joining +Net then.
Posted by liamthom over 9 years ago
I'm confused:

"Open & honest usage allowances - no murky Fair Use Policies"

So where are they: ?
Posted by Freebo over 9 years ago
Well im leaving F2S, i just dont wanna even be that close to Tiscali.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
I think its a smart move in a business sense from Plusnet. Im not sure i would recommend people move to them though, unless their use is pretty light. For the home user packages their allowances are open and honest, so i cant understand why people beehatch at Plusnet about usage allowance or throttles. They openly display them on their site. I do personally think speed in some cases is throttled too much but hey atleast they mention it. Which is better then some, with Pipex one day they admit throttling the next they dont.
Posted by ISP-KING over 9 years ago
In the next 36 months, you will see nothing but ISPs buy-one-another. Two reasons for this, 1:TV via ADSL, 2:C21 project by BT. Trends: Mirror group/Sky buys Easynet, BT buys Pipex, Tiscali buys plusnet etc this is 2 get market share & upsell.Good news is that all these ISPs r focused on homeusers, u can expect things 2 get bad (in the sense of who to buy from) though in the long run, u will get better value-added services.Until then networks will become slower, due 2 the uptake of xDSL & also applications hogging up the backbone.
Posted by RogN over 9 years ago
I trust that TBB will advertise every offer from poaching ISP's to other companies, especially when the deal has not been ratified, so that any other ISP who wants to make an offer coutesy of this front page and for free can do so even now.

Pusnet, wouldn't touch em if they offered a free year.

If folks want to leave Pipex, and I probably shall, their are decent ISP's out there, with better prices and less strangulation, you don't have to fall for this rubbish.
Posted by Silvereyes over 9 years ago
Indeed. I've been looking at entanet resellers and £19.99 for 30GB peak/300GB offpeak seems pretty fair, particularly as off peak includes *ALL* weekend, 22:00 Friday to 08:00 Monday

Posted by SteveToplek over 9 years ago
We can always live in hope that Tiscali gets bought up by someone who gives a s***t about customers LOL
Posted by scousetechie over 9 years ago
Yeah, live in hope mate.
Posted by chrysalis over 9 years ago
plusnet is mass market aka shaped cheap broadband.