BT buys up Brightview
Friday 06 July 2007 12:28:04 by John Hunt

BT has announced an agreement to acquire Brightview Group Limited in a £15.8 million cash deal pending shareholders approval.

The move will see approximately 62,000 broadband customers joining with Plusnet and BT retail users under the control of BT. This includes all of the Brightview brands, including Madasafish, Global Internet and It is unclear at the moment whether they will be merged onto the BT retail platform or maintain autonomy as is currently the case with Plusnet.

Brightview featured highly in the BBC Watchdog survey looking at consumer satisfaction earlier this year with 3 of their brands in the top 4 places. This could be a sign that BT are looking for quality ISPs rather than just numbers of subscribers. Pipex put themselves up for sale in March and although BT among BSkyB and Carphone Warehouse were reported as possible buyers, no deal has yet been struck. Insiders speculate that Tiscali may be on the cards to announce a purchase of the residential customer base, but nothing definite has yet been announced.

Posted by CARPETBURN over 9 years ago
I really hope BT actually are interested in he ISPs and customers they buy rather then just the numbers. Either way its kind of a shame as many customers seem happy with madasafish, as well as a few of the other brightview based products. I hope BT dont destroy what were relatively providers that were providing good service. RIP Brightview and be proud of what you achieved as a relatively small (when measure in ISP marketplace terms) organisation.
Posted by machinesteve over 9 years ago
Oh no.....thats the eend of the utterly superb Madasafish customer service and rock solid reliability then. here come the corporate managers...time to look for another independent.
Posted by harryhound1 over 9 years ago
A MAAF customer does a cross posting:
Posted by canarycity over 9 years ago
It is a shame, after pass experience I would never use BT again. I will be watching if BT mess up a superb ISP I will move.
Posted by beebrooke39 over 9 years ago
Here we go again...Could this be the start of some stable services getting "messed up" by "sticky little fingers" ..Possibility here for the poor old Broadband customers to be in for yet more "hair tearing" and more hours on the phone to the good old customer Service bandwagon....Fingers crossed !!!
Posted by barry_ing over 9 years ago
I have been delighted with my Madasafish broadband which I migrated to from BT over a year ago. If BT takes over then I'm off like a shot to Zen! baz4u
Posted by annapolis over 9 years ago
Plusnet have improved a lot since BT's takeover.
Posted by MadDvd over 9 years ago
I've been with Brightview for years, first with Freenetname then Madasfish with no problems. I've no personal experience of BT as an ISP but from what I read about them I'm not happy about this takeover. If I'm messed about, I'll move. MadDvd.