TalkTalk raises price of broadband
Thursday 10 May 2007 13:52:34 by Andrew Ferguson

While TalkTalk has made a lot of progress in the last year on rolling out its telephone and broadband bundles that start at £19.99, for those not on an 'unbundled' exchange things have always been more expensive with a supplementary £10 a month fee. Users now signing up to the Talk3 call plans and taking the broadband option will now be charged £15 per month if they are one of the 30 to 40% of households not on a Carphone Warehouse unbundled exchange. Details of the product bundle can be found at www.talktalk.co.uk.

One key issue when comparing packages is to find out from a provider what speed they expect to connect you at. With TalkTalk if signing up to broadband for the first time and you are not on one of their unbundled exchanges you are likely to get a fixed rate 1 or 2 Mbps service, rather than a rate adaptive 'up to 8 Mbps' service. This is because TalkTalk as yet is not making full use of the BT Wholesale IPStream Max product launched in April 2006. For people with a Max service already that are migrating to TalkTalk generally the migration will result in you retaining your Max service.

Comments

Posted by CARPETBURN over 10 years ago
Yet another reason to leave these bozos if you have not already.... so much for the company that once claim "free broadband, forever"
Posted by Stuartli over 10 years ago
Perhaps CARPETBURN ought to read the details of the product bundle BEFORE firing off...:-)
Posted by Stuartli over 10 years ago
PS

TalkTalk quietly raised my service from 2MB to "up to 8MB" a couple of months ago as promised last year when its LLU equipment came on song at my exchange.

I'm getting a consistent 6 to 6.6MB, whilst the 2MB service lived up to its promise; certainly it was superior to the same speed previously delivered by Tiscali.
Posted by kracker38 over 10 years ago
I live 3.10 miles from my exchange which has been unbundled. I average from 800kbs to 906 kbs. Other isps can only promise 576kbs. Talktalk are trying to increase my speed but with 30yr old wiring it is a bit of a problem.My main socket is only 8 feet from my modem.Reliability after some initial problems is I would say 98%.
Posted by alcrawford over 10 years ago
I live about 2.5-3 miles from my unbundled exchange and regularly get between 4-5Mbps. I don't think this is bad at all. Yes, there ARE much better ISP's out there but for an average user whose phone bill is just over £20/month INCLUDING my broadband this is fine!
Posted by malcolmv over 10 years ago
I joined TalkTalk last November - terrible at transferring my connection and for 2 months slow connection speed but at present connection is at at 2.8 - 3.4 and I am not grumbling as connection is far better than Tiscali who were charging me £9.99 - I am happy with a very low cost service that now provides a good connection
Posted by rezz_2000 over 10 years ago
My experience with Talk Talk is not great to say the least but I'm a firm believer that you get what you pay for so if they are raising the prices for people not on an 'unbundled' exchange they should also raise the level of service! I joined in April 06 and my line was unbundled in Feb07 and after lots of problems with the line I am now averaging around 4Mbps but should be getting higher speeds as I am only 750 meters from the exchange, oh and my cordless phones are still not ringing properly!
Posted by grdugdell over 10 years ago
I live 2.7 miles from my not un-bundled exchange and, after much whinging, got my speed increased from the introductory 400Kbps to a mostly reliable 1.8Mbps. My question is how will I know when my exchange becomes unbundled, will Talk Talk tell me? As I see it Talk Talk have little incentive to unbundle exchanges since it cost them money and they lose revenue
Posted by herdwick over 10 years ago
"Other isps can only promise 576kbs." - nah, your talking to the wrong people.

"Free up to 8M broadband" from Talk-Talk is actually £15/month for 512, 1M or 2M on over 4000 UK telephone exchanges.
Posted by callum9999 over 10 years ago
The service I have from talktalk has been very reliable BUT I think it is disgusting that I have been on a 2mb fixed line since September despite it promising an up to 8mb service
Posted by celast over 9 years ago
My grumble with talk talk is web mail,I have not had any mail for two weeks now,does anyone know what the problem is ?