Epitiro Q1/2007 Consumer ADSL Performance Report
Monday 30 April 2007 12:13:36 by Sebastien Lahtinen

Epitiro (www.epitiro.com) have released the results of its performance testing for the first quarter of 2007. TalkTalk, a consumer broadband brand of Carphone Warehouse has entered the top five list joining BT, Demon, AOL and Pipex. AOL has returned having dropped from the top-five group six months ago.

Rank Q1 2007 Q4 2006 Q3 2006 Q2 2006
1 BT BT BT BT
2 Demon Pipex Pipex Virgin
3 AOL Orange Demon Demon
4 Pipex Demon PlusNet AOL
5 TalkTalk Virgin Virgin Orange

The tests monitor services from the ten largest consumer ADSL broadband providers in nine cities and include over 57,000 tests from each provider during the quarter. Tests include speed and reliability metrics for ADSL and ADSL Max services, although Epitiro plan to add cable and ADSL2+ later this year. According to Epitiro, the industry average packet loss had dropped by almost 50% since the last quarter.

Comments

Posted by boggits over 10 years ago
From a consumer point of view I think these figures are misleading as only the 'top' service providers are measured. If this was a truely global measure of all ISP's then it would be a fair and acurate representation of the situation consumers experience.
Posted by KarlAustin over 10 years ago
Agreed, it's very lame testing. There are 68 ISPs listed here on this site (Granted, a couple are ADSL2/+) so testing 10 is a really poor showing. Would be interesting to know who sponsors/funds them.
Posted by herdwick over 10 years ago
I think they're selling their monitoring service / reports / kit to ISPs, so its a promo activity.
Posted by if_42 over 10 years ago
Well, the following are all listed as clients of Epitro on their website:
- BT.
- Demon.
- Pipex.
- TalkTalk.
- Virgin.
- Orange.

So, that is everyone in the tables above bar Pipex, given that:
- Plusnet are now owned by BT.
- AOL's broadband ISP business is now owned by TalkTalk/Carphone Warehouse.

!!!!
Posted by CARPETBURN over 10 years ago
well done if_42 you hit the nail on the head, these figures are basically nothing more then an organisation blowing its own trumpet about people they do business with. The story with regards to performance of actual providers is totally pointless and not accurate in any way shape or form... Talk Talk and Orange some of the best??? Is that why these forums are full of complaints about them and both of those have been on watchdog more than once?
Posted by arundel over 10 years ago
Agreed. These results are pretty much meaningless.
Posted by webwise over 10 years ago
Strange how Talktalk (Cowboy Warehouse) is rated number 5. I switched from them about 3 months ago because of an unreliable and VERY slow connection. I'm now with Tiscali who have a lot faster connection speed but threatens to cut you off if you use it between 6-11 pm. Ah well, as soon as contract ends, back to the MAC.
Posted by kenneth_lad over 10 years ago
This looks like a bottom five to me. Must be a typo.
Posted by andykcole over 10 years ago
I also had troubles with TalkTalk, but I pursued my complaints without giving up, I was eventually given my own helpline rep, who corrected the problems...it has shown me that persistence pays off in the end..
I might be more tolerant than most but I consider TalkTalk as the originator of huge savings which has now filtered down to make other ISPs lower their prices..
My advice if you can stomach it, would be to persevere, instead of just jumping from pillar to post getting angry.
I am not associated with TalkTalk except as a customer who is at present very satisfied.