It looks like Carphone Warehouse now sits in third spot in terms of the number of broadband customers. The latest trading update from the company shows a total of 2,270,000 broadband subscribers, with 702,000 using an unbundled line.
Splitting this down into the two broadband providers that Carphone Warehouse owns, there was as of 31st March 2007 1,535,000 customers on the AOL service of which 327,000 were connected via a shared unbundled service (SMPF). The Talk Talk 3 offer has 655,000 customers with 375,000 connected via a fully unbundled service, and 81,000 customers remaining from the days before the Talk Talk 3 offer.
Back in January 2007 Talk Talk had 540,000 customers, so has added around 115,000 in the last three months. Crucially for the group the unbundling of exchanges has been taking place rapidly, with the target of 1024 exchanges being met two months earlier than originally expected. These 1024 exchanges cover around 70% of UK households, with 4500 exchanges covering the other 30% of households.
The company appears to be continuing to invest in the area of customer service with an additional £10 to £15m expected to be spent on in the next 12 months.
For those Talk Talk customers still waiting for their upgrade to a fully rate adaptive service, i.e. a true up to 8Mbps product, the trading statement carries no news, other than to say that the pace of transferring people to the companies unbundled network continues to increase. We hope that Talk Talk will accelerate its testing and roll-out of IPStream Max, which became a live product a year ago, so it can offer rate adaptive speeds of up to 8Mbps to customers not connected to its unbundled service.