Pipex up for sale
Monday 12 March 2007 12:18:00 by Andrew Ferguson

The Belfast Telegraph has a short story enlightening us to the fact that Pipex has appointed bankers whose task it is to sell the Pipex group.

It appears putting the group up for sale is the result of a review started in January 2007. The current stock market value of the company is £336m on annual revenue of £133m.

Pipex has a number of broadband providers in its group, including Nildram, Bulldog and Freedom2Surf, in addition to its own products via Pipex Internet and Pipex Homecall. The Pipex Group website shows the various businesses making up the group.

Posted by evilbond over 10 years ago
I feel sorry for who ever buys them and adopts all the complainee's, but look at the good news, they cant get much worse than pipex.
Posted by ETEE over 10 years ago
I expect Tiscali to buy Pipex, then TT, Be*, Sky or Orange will buy the combined unit.
Posted by CARPETBURN over 10 years ago
Why oh why am i not shocked? Im with these clowns (i refuse to call them a ISP). I suppose it now explains why in the past 6 months or so, customer services has gone to pot, speeds are erm not very speedy LOL and billing cock ups have been aplenty.
Im was looking for a new ISP before i even read this and hopefully will of left them before the next bunch of greedy dogs (BT or Sky IMO) get their paws on them. I hope they have a customer support crew of phone monkeys ready to handle the angry customers.
Posted by adriandaz over 10 years ago
Kingston Communications if they have any money left :-)
Posted by stephen_f2s over 10 years ago
They might break up the group and sell of bits. There aren't many companies that can pull that sort of money out of their backsides.
Posted by steve27 over 10 years ago
Hope Nildram becomes independant again:-was one of the very best but went downhill after Pipex got "involved":-so bad in comparison I left!
Posted by charliemor45 over 10 years ago
I hope not Tiscali, I left them as a result of their less than satisfactory Customer Service.
Lately their Technical Support has improved quite alot.
Agreed, their CS needs beefing up.
Vis Speeds I would agree with CARPETBURN.
One can only hope that whoever gets them, will omprove it substantially.
Posted by paulhickman over 10 years ago
One can only speak as one finds - having been with Pipex some years I would agree that their recent service has been apalling - that is until a couple of months ago when there was a dramatic improvement. I even had customer services phoning me up!!!
Posted by skwebpages over 10 years ago
Freedom2Surf, one of their buy-outs, used to be No.1 ISP in the UK. Now it's a big disappointment.
Posted by derekwilliamsuk over 10 years ago
I recently left Freedom2Surf as a result of their continued decline since they were purchased by Pipex. The service was appalling. I am now with Eclipse and their service is excellent. Lets hope Eclipse can keep well clear of the Pipex bunch.
Posted by edsora over 10 years ago
We have to remember that buy-outs and sell-outs are driven by the desire of CEOs to produce a sellable company and thus their stake in the company. It is nothing to do with service or customer satisfaction. When Pipex bought f2s, I did hope that the ethos of f2s would be maintained because Pipex are one of the original ISPs from the early 90s. My hopes evaporated when I saw the heavy marketing Pipex are indulging in. So the only question is, what lifeboat should I jump into?
Posted by otterfolly over 10 years ago
How will this affect Nildram I wonder?
Posted by Oldfrat over 10 years ago
The Nildram service has been the only reason I have been with them for the last 4 years. I hope they come out of this as sweet as they went in !!
Posted by jackson3 over 10 years ago
Agree with paulhickman Pipex are now consistently stable - Been with them for 4 years and perfectly happy to stay...

Posted by NotSoNaff over 10 years ago
Differentiate between Pipex and Pipex Homecall? Set up a friend on Pipex BB [cust serv & price] 4 years ago, no probs. So looking to switch ISP emailed Pipex a question and was contacted [actually by P H]. I signed up to “Pipex” for Phone-Calls-BB rolled into one. The alarm bells rang when the individual I signed up with could not be traced and ring 6 months on trying to stop overcharges. Speeds [Tiscali involved?] Up is like stirring cold porridge with a straw at the North Pole, Down suffers in busy periods. Communication with P H is very hard work. New managers need to seriously kick butts.

Posted by pugwashtizzie over 10 years ago
Are there any good service providers? A friend asked me recently to recommend a Broadband provider and I found that after fairly extensive research on the subject there was no consensus of opinion - in fact all my sources varied wildly as to which provider was good and which was not. Sadly my investigations in the forums of the main providers revealed without exception a plethora of complaints about poor service.
Posted by GrahamMills over 10 years ago
I don't think that I have ever heard anything bad about Zen.