Sky publishes Interim Results
Wednesday 31 January 2007 09:09:46 by Andrew Ferguson

Sky Broadband launched in July 2006, and announced in November 2006 that it had 74,000 customers connected, this has now jumped to 259,000 broadband connections as of 28th January 2007. The company has another 84,000 bookings for connections waiting to complete. The full interim results can be read on the Sky corporate website.

The results reveal that during January 2007 the company connected 66,000 broadband customers. The unbundled network has grown to cover 771 exchanges which equates to 50% of UK households and apparently exceeds the coverage of the ntl:Telewest cable networks.

Comments

Posted by scopsm over 10 years ago
Nice to know they are having such success.

Just waiting for them to get my order out of their truly amazing pending cancellation system where you can be stuck for up to 6 weeks and this is after their own ordering system seems to have cancelled my original order.
Posted by stephen_f2s over 10 years ago
Success? They're waaaaaaaay behind the competition at the mo. But 2,000+ connections a day in January is pretty impressive.
Posted by Neolithian over 10 years ago
I'll be honest, if i could get out of my existing apalling service / customer service with orange (£20 pcm), at £5 a month for up to 8 meg i'd be there too ! I suppose when their signups have slowed down, they will probably scrap the £20 initial signup charge as well.
Posted by rickw over 10 years ago
Works great for me. Gear arrived on time and changeover to the day quoted. Daughter exactly the same.
Posted by Gixxer over 10 years ago
Sky have told friends of mine that they can't get connected to their service as the exchange has a lack of slots. Funny the exchange has got spare slots when I checked the exchange details.
What are Sky playing at, are they bothered or are they looking at something else as they loosing customers wher I am.
Posted by ityson over 10 years ago
It’s all well and good taking on so many customers but as I learned when I joined back in August 2006 I had months of issues. When I decided enough was enough It even took me a whole month to get a MAC code from them. Just as it arrived the man in the exchange changed a couple of settings (they had dropped me to 2Mb Service) he put it back to 16Mb and changed the gain and away it went. It seems that support is a big issue when you take on so many customers at a time (Just be aware as it costs a lot of time and money ringing the 0870 support number) but they do get there in the end.
Posted by pghuke over 10 years ago
Since August they took 3 weeks to disconnect my existing supplier and 3 weeks to reconnect, no email password despite numerous calls and speeds that drop from 7M exchange connection to 64K through the modem, if I reset the modem I get 6M then it tails off again. £&£ in calls and always fobbed off, paying for a up to 8M and speeds of dial up Rubbish Rubbish Rubbish.
One of the problems they told me was that I am running Windows XP professional and they don’t support it, well I say don’t support them, if I could get out I would, my F2S service was first class.
Posted by Bienchisto over 10 years ago
If you are already paying for Sky football or similar component then their 'up to 8m for £5 pcm' is good value; but their tec support is rubbish. I never get anything like 7m speed; perhaps 4.5m during am, and 2m during pm. They should hire the tec support provided by blueyonder for a period to learn how its done.
Posted by russtbird over 10 years ago
Having been with them for 1 week now I must say I am impressed by the sign up and connection service, but disappointed that their 2MB base product is consistently slower than the 512k product I had with NDO before. I got slower speeds on my test tonight than a 56k modem dial up service! They are very astute business people - get the sales and income first and foremost. However they will soon have to concentrate on support and speed to avoid their reputation going down the pan.