Update on Pipex acquisition of Bulldog customers
Tuesday 16 January 2007 09:29:07 by Andrew Ferguson

In September 2006 Pipex started the moves to acquire Bulldog retail broadband customers for £12million. Reuters.co.uk has details of a trading update from Pipex that reveals it is expecting to acquire 80,000 customers from Bulldog rather than the previously published figures of 110,000. It is not clear why there is such a large change.

It seems Pipex in its original offer was set to pay a fixed price per Bulldog customer it acquired, so the original £12m will now be adjusted downward.

Pipex has also announced that it has unbundled 20,000 of its 570,000 broadband customers.

Comments

Posted by dlneil over 10 years ago
Such a difference in numbers of customers at an ISP has historically been due to disaffected clients feeling their options reduce to 'voting with their feet'.

Since the 'takeover' Bulldog customers have been told that there will be no change/business as usual, so any hope that Pipex would address failings has been dashed.

Were (techie) fans more interested in Michael Knight/David Hasselhof or his computerised car? Darker thoughts might lead one to wonder if a 'reduction' in the support liability is a clever commercial ploy to take over the more attractive LLU assets at reduced cost?
Posted by gm0csz over 10 years ago
The Hasselhof ad campaign has come over to me as rather silly .It probably hardly appeals to mature (potential) customers. I can imagine that all the expenditure by Pipex will be money down the drain .

Frank Dinger
Posted by jchamier over 10 years ago
Some people in the Bulldog forum have posted they've had letters saying they're not part of the transaction. Odd if the idea is for C&W to get out of retail!
Posted by padrone over 10 years ago
iT MIGHT BE THAT ALL THE 20K CUSTOMERS WHO PIPEX SAY THEY HAVE UNBUNDLED ARE IN FACT CONNECTED TO BROADBAND THROUGH A TAGGED LINE OWNED BY ANOTHER ISP I.E. TISCALI. PADDY
Posted by wisebuy over 10 years ago
I have recently stopped using Nildram broadband (taken over some time ago by Pipex) because of its refusal to address my complaint that due to the unbundling of my exchange my connection has become unreliable and the speed has been reduced from 5 mb to 2 mb. E mails are ignored, support says I must phone another number and I have been left on hold (on an 0870 nymber) for 30 minutes being told I am at queue position one. Takeovers usually destroy a service, so if it is already bad, it is not suprising that people have left Bulldog.