Prodigynet ceases offering residential broadband services
Friday 22 December 2006 11:48:14 by Sebastien Lahtinen

Prodigynet ( residential customers have woken up in the last few days to find an early Christmas present in their inbox in the form of a notice from their broadband service provide that they will be ceasing to offer residential broadband services.

The company states they have had to take this decision due to the high wholesale costs associated with providing these services and have provided users with a MAC code that allows them to migrate to another service provider at minimum hassle.

However, what has upset some Prodigynet users is the notice given by the company. The e-mails sent out were dated 18th December and reports suggest they were sent out at around noon, informing users that they need to use their MAC code to migrate to a new provider before 6th January, a whole 18 days' notice which due to the Christmas and New Year bank holidays means 11 working days. It is difficult for a company to make a choice to terminate services and they should not be criticised for being realistic rather than allowing the service levels to deteriorate, however the notice period is rather short. It has also been suggested by some users that there would be no credits from the date of migration to the next billing date although we have been unable to confirm this.

Posted by sherbrooke01 over 10 years ago
Hmm, why can you still sign-up a residential account online. I just went as far as the filling in the payments form!
Posted by themob over 10 years ago
Seb, have you spoken to Prodigy?
Posted by Tobor over 10 years ago
I've had no email... nothing on their web site.. what's this all about then?
Posted by hrf over 10 years ago
Check the forums! It could be a rolling residential message. ie depends on current contract left. I just paid for 3 more months in mid december.
Posted by peter433 over 10 years ago
i just migrated to them on the 22nd of December there and everything seems fine, i hope it will be im not wanting to have to try and find another ISP all over again
Posted by noricd over 10 years ago
Ive just migrated one of my lines to namesco with no problems-I am having problems with another line gettig a MAC code from Prodigy net who are not answering emails or telephone. Discontinuing a service with unreasonable notice ie a min of one month looks like sharp practice and I have asked for extension as if not transferred will have to pay £40-80 connection fee!!!!
Posted by rallis over 10 years ago
They are terminating some residential services but not all of them. I have a residential broadband service and it will remain active. It is best to call them and verify it.
Posted by cedar001 over 8 years ago
Although my broadband service via Prodigynet continues, I am unable to make any telephone contact with them. I am receiving a BT recorded message saying that they are not connection to that number. I have recently moved house from Lancashire (feb 2009) to Devon and my Broadband service was transferred by Prodigy in early February. I havent received any paper or email messages from Prodigy about cancellation of service and most importantly a MAC for transfer of services. Any comments from anyone?