Epitiro Q3/2006 Consumer ADSL Performance Report
Monday 11 December 2006 13:59:50 by Sebastien Lahtinen

Epitiro (www.epitiro.com) has released the Internet Performance Indicator (IPI) Report for Q3/2006 which tests consumer broadband access provider services. The results are not unexpectedly indicating an increase in average broadband speeds in the UK. The report is based on Epitiro's ISP-I monitoring service which covers nine of the larger consumer ADSL broadband providers and monitors several key indicators including DNS lookup time and download/upload speeds.

Rank Q2 2006 Q3 2006
1 BT BT
2 Virgin PIPEX
3 DEMON DEMON
4 AOL PlusNet
5 Orange Virgin

Orange and AOL have fallen out of the top group. Each ISP was tested on average 58,313 times which equates to about once every 30 seconds.

The results also show that the average connection speed in this quarter reached 3.8 Mbps indicating an increasing take-up of "up to 8 Mbps" services.

"The nationwide upgrades to ADSL Max are providing faster total connection speeds than the previous standard of 2 Mbps. However customers should be aware that when they are buying an "up to 8 meg" service, this is exactly what it means. The speed of broadband service reduces the further the customer’s connection is from their local telephone exchange, so customers should not expect to get a consistent 8 Mbps speed from their ADSL Max connection."

Gavin Johns, Epitiro

Also worthy of mention, Tesco's Broadband service had the lowest number of connection failures within the sample group whilst Demon had the lowest packet loss and PlusNet had the fastest latency/ping performance.

It is important to note that the IPI only considers nine of the larger operators in the market and as such cannot be used to compare the services of smaller providers. Nevertheless it provides a useful basis for comparing some of the established broadband suppliers.

Comments

Posted by guesswot over 10 years ago
Who finances Epitirio? How come it seems to be so very different from the ratings on 'thinkbroad'? Or indeed other customer rating sites.
Posted by grahammm over 10 years ago
I think it would be very useful for one of these survey companies to publish a comparison between the large 'household name' providers and the smaller 'more technical' providers. Not a comparison of the smaller providers, but a statistical comparison of small and large.
Posted by werzz over 10 years ago
Obviously never heard of IDnet of Zen then?

Virgin in 2nd spot, yeah right...
Posted by herdwick over 10 years ago
Finance is I guess by selling reports and services like monitoring. The results are just measured technical comparisons rather than subjective user experiences of speed, tech support and the like.
Posted by guesswot over 10 years ago
The average being has less than one eye, one arm etc, but how often do we see them!!! Agree on IDNet and Zen plus add a few other similar ISPs.
Posted by guesswot over 10 years ago
Previous post, should have read "has less than two eyes, two legs etc". I must wake up in future before I post!!!
Posted by TLMC over 10 years ago
Given all the comments about speed of Pipex services in the forums I'm amased that they are number 2!!
Posted by carljohnson over 10 years ago
BT? Who are "BT" exactly? Do they mean BT Retail (i.e. BT Yahoo/BT Connect/BT Broadband/BT Openworld/etc)?

Presumably they do.

Then they ought to say so.

Carl
Posted by demonuk over 10 years ago
These stats look to be fairly pointless - but then again, so are most of the stats that providers quote (USwitch survey results etc).

Just what consumers need... more FUD.
Posted by kenneth_lad over 10 years ago
i'm surprised pipex are number 2 too. what a farce this 'report' is. everyone knows they throttle connections.
Posted by Leezig over 10 years ago
Demon recently "upgraded" me to 8meg - I now have consistently lower speeds than when I was on 2meg. I ran the BT speedtest which showed my line was easily capable of at least 7meg so unless it's just a special throttle they have for me, I can't see how Demon got to be number 3...