Skip Navigation

Less than one third of Internet connections now via dial-up
Thursday 25 May 2006 11:27:00 by Andrew Ferguson

The Office of National Statistics collates lots of data, and one of these is an Internet Connectivity report, the full report can be viewed as a PDF document located on their website.

The data from March 2006 shows that broadband in its many forms is continuing to push dial-up access out of the way, with broadband accounting for 69.2% of all connections, leaving dial-up with just 30.8%. This is a 3.7% rise in the three months since December 2005 for the broadband share.

One warning note needs to be sounded - it is worth keeping a backup dial-up connection available. While broadband in its various forms can be very reliable, the consumer varieties carry no guarantees and it can take a number of days to resolve problems, during which time people will need to do things like still collect email, pay bills/online banking. So keep a dial-up modem configured, and check it works every now and then.


There are currently no comments about this news item.

You must be logged in to post comments. Click here to login.